Windows 7 Media Center is probably the best all-round media center available, beating other solutions hands down and with a few easy tweaks it can be made even better. One of the limitations of W7MC is that the TV EPG only displays details for 7 channels at a time – scandalous for users like myself with 50″+ plasma TVs.
With a few quick tweaks it is possible to increase the number of channels displayed to 10:
To Increase the number of channels in Windows 7 Media Center’s EPG:
- Close Windows Media Center
- Install the Take Ownership registry file
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\ehome and find Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll, Right-click on the file and click ‘Take Ownership’
- Copy Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll to a temp directory and put this patch in the same directory
- Run the patch (you may need to take ownership of the Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll in the temp directory)
- copy the new version of Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll created by the patch to C:\Windows\ehome
You now should have extra rows displaying in W7MC.